“I don’t have time” is one of the most common struggles I hear people talk about. It’s easy to feel frustrated and overwhelmed when we try to be more organised and plan out our days only to have the plan ruined by endless distractions. When this happens, focusing and sustaining “deep work” is almost impossible. As we try to catch up we get further away from actually accomplishing our goals and spending less time on the things we really care about.
I used to be the same (heck, I still get these feelings sometimes). I used to think I needed more time. But when I learned more about productivity and how to manage my time properly, I realised that I didn’t need more time. I simply needed a better way of managing the time I already have. There’s no reason why you can’t get all the important work done and still have time to relax within the time you already have.
Let me tell you a story…
Even in our distracting world, there are people who are able to make consistent progress and accomplish their goals. Yes, there are big shots like Elon Musk who are able to run multiple billion dollar companies simultaneously (he’s a productivity super-freak). But there are also plenty of normal everyday people who just seem to be more organised and get their work done with minimal stress.
Take Anthony for example. Anthony is a real 33-year old guy from the Bay Area in California. For years, Anthony struggled with getting caught behind on his work and would have to work 10–12 hour days just to keep up. He tried reading all the self-help books, watching TED talks and reading productivity articles. He even tried productivity methods like Getting Things Done (GTD) and the Pomodoro technique, but nothing worked.
This is the original email Anthony sent me when he signed up to my 7-Day Productivity Plan (look at the date). You can really feel the pain and frustration in his writing (click to enlarge):
Now, Anthony has quit his job and is working for himself as a freelancer (something he’s always put off until “one day”). He sets his own hours and as well as working less than before (he uses his increased available time for surfing), he’s now more than doubled his income!
This is the email I received from him, just a few months later (click to enlarge):
I caught up with Anthony just the other day to see how he’s getting on and listening to him always makes me smile. He’s so much happier now that he’s organised himself and freed up his time. It’s awesome!
While Anthony’s progress seems unattainable, and you may not be trying to quit your job, results like this are possible. Anthony is just a normal guy and the techniques he’s used can be applied to anyone who wants to be more organised, make consistent progress towards accomplishing their goals and have more free time.
Getting the results you want is easier than you think
I’ve already helped hundreds of people to become more organised and productive and get amazing results, including:
- Karen who was able to streamline her business and finish her book writing project in 3 months (she now spends more time running and cycling around New Zealand).
- Jeff who learned to speak German in 6 weeks having lived in Germany for 3 years and never spoke the language before (he’s now using his free time to create a productive language course for students).
- Katie who was so stressed she literally couldn’t sleep to now being more organised than ever before and because she has more time to exercise she has 10X more energy as a result.
I really do believe that productivity is the secret weapon to leading a happier and more fulfilling life. Think about it… if you can accomplish your goals in half the time, with less stress and anxiety along the way, and if that also means you have more time at the end of the day to hang out with friends, family and focus on the things that make you happy, then that’s only a good thing.
I’m super passionate about the idea of self-improvement and getting more out of life. Productivity is the vehicle I use to do this. Which is why I’m starting this blog post series to teach people how to be more productive so they can create the work-life balance that they want.
Helping people to be more productive gives me such a great feeling of fulfilment because I know how much it means to people when they get on top of their work and smash their goals.
In the next few days, I’m going to show you the common mistakes people make when trying to be more organised and create more free time. I’ll also show you what you should do instead and soon you too can learn how to be way more organised and get more done in less time.
Here are just some of the things you can expect to learn:
- The secret to increased energy levels and working without burning out.
- How to focus your attention and ignore distractions (it’s easier than you think).
- The reason why some people get more done without stressing out (I’ll show you the most common tools and processes used by the world’s top performers).
- How journaling, visualisations and affirmations can help you to overcome anxiety and propel you towards achieving your goals.
- How to get more done and still have time to relax and do what you want (if you can use a calendar, then you can make this a reality)
- How to live a happier, healthier and more balanced lifestyle (better than working 60+ hour weeks, living for the weekend and resenting your work)
Please leave me a comment below and answer this one simple question:
Do you believe being more productive would help you to live a happier and more fulfilling lifestyle?
If yes, tell me more about what the perfect work-life balance looks like for you. I’d love to hear about your goals!