HOW ANTHONY DOUBLED HIS PRODUCTIVITY, QUIT HIS JOB & REDUCED HIS HOURS
Even in our distracting world, there are people who are able to make consistent progress and accomplish their goals. I'm not talking about big shot CEO's. There are also plenty of normal everyday people who just seem to be more organised and get their work done with minimal stress.
Take Anthony for example. Anthony is a real 33-year old guy from the Bay Area in California. For years, Anthony struggled with getting caught behind on his work and would have to work 10–12 hour days just to keep up. He tried reading all the self-help books, watching TED talks and reading productivity articles. He even tried productivity methods like Getting Things Done (GTD) and the Pomodoro technique, but nothing worked.
Anthony described his problem like this:
"I felt like I had quite a lot of knowledge and motivation but couldn't connect this with a practical process. I had all these elements of wisdom gained from books, talks, YouTube videos and life experiences… all of this potential… but I needed the practical tools and systems that I could use to get stuff done."
This is the original email Anthony sent me when he signed up to my 7-Day Productivity Plan (look at the date). You can really feel the pain and frustration in his writing (click to enlarge):
Now, Anthony has quit his job and is working for himself as a freelancer (something he’s always put off until “one day”). He sets his own hours and as well as working less than before. He now uses his increased available time for surfing and has more than doubled his income!
This is the email I received from him, just a few months later:
I caught up with Anthony just the other day to see how he’s getting on and listening to him always makes me smile. He’s so much happier now that he’s organised himself and freed up his time. It’s awesome!
WHAT DID ANTHONY DO?
- He adopted my 30-minute weekly review process which I NEVER miss (the single most important part of my weekly routine)
- He learned how to plan his goals and worked out what he needed to do before quitting his job.
- He took the essential principles from the toolkit and used them to develop his own productivity routines and system for staying organised.
- He uncovered the secret about how to organise his workload (and why Asana is the best app for this).
- He learned the reason why so many high-performers wake up early and transformed how he starts his day.
- He prioritised his personal life, health and surfing (better than spending 60+ hours a week behind a desk).
- He purchased the toolkit and took action (he now has a “system” of tools and processes to manage his time).
I’ve heard the stories of many people who have ideas of things they’d like to do “one day”. Things like building a business, quitting your job, traveling the world or learning a new skill. But finding the time for these dreams is next to impossible in your busy day to day life (especially if you don’t have a “system” to keep you organised). Finding the time is one thing, having a system like Anthony describes is another.