Happy new year!
It’s that time of year again. A time to set goals and make change. You’re probably thinking: “This is MY year! This is the year I’m finally going to … (fill in the blank)”. You’ve probably already read a load of blog posts about how to plan your goals and “succeed” in 2020.
Don't want to read this post? Listen to the podcast instead:
Whatever approach you’re going to take, I want to add my two cents with a very simple idea:All the happiness and success you’re looking for in 2020 is 100% within your controlClick To Tweet
When you get to grips with this fact, it’s a very empowering feeling.
The Stoics teach the importance of focusing only on what you can control and not tying your happiness to external, non-controllable factors. And success and happiness are 100% within your control. YOU get to decide what makes you happy. YOU get to decide what success means to you.
When you acknowledge this idea, it means you can’t make excuses. When we fail, it’s easy to say things like:
- “My boss is holding me back”
- “People just don’t get my idea”
- “I don’t have enough time or money”
- “It’s the government's fault”
The #1 message in Extreme Ownership is to take on responsibility and own your actions.
- If you don’t like your boss or your job, then quit. Sure it’s easier said than done, but you have a choice.
- If people don’t get your idea, that’s your fault, not theirs.
- Don’t have time or money? Cut back on Netflix, wake up early, do what it takes to make time. And get a second job and sell stuff on eBay to make some extra money.
- And don’t rely on the government. For anything. Period.
If things aren’t going your way, remember, you always have a choice. You can quit your job, work harder or try something else.
When you stop blaming your issues on external factors and acknowledge that happiness and success are 100% within your control, it helps us to stop the excuses and instead, make progress on the things that matter.
If you want to succeed this year, start by taking responsibility and remembering that you are 100% in control.