What are tags in Asana and how should you use them? Tags give you a way of adding context to a task and help you to group similar tasks together. For example, I use tags for things like:
- Urgent – Tasks with this tag tell the assignee to stop what they're doing and work on this task instead.
- Meeting – For grouping together tasks we need to discuss.
- DNC – Stands for ‘Did not complete' which I use when marking a task as complete that I didn't actually do.
- Showing the duration of task e.g. 5, 10, 15, 30, 60, 90, 120 (I colour code these so they stand out on the My Tasks page).
- Displaying the type of content in my content calendar e.g. Blog, Podcast, Video.
Tags can be used across the entire account. They're good when you're tagging random tasks that may not be needed on every task. Whereas custom fields are added on a project-by-project basis. They're better when you need the field to show up on all tasks.
Need help setting up Asana and optimising it for your business? Join my Master Asana program!